Hot or cold, how do you enjoy your Apple Crisp? That ooey-gooey apple-cinnamony taste is like a warm hug in a bowl. My mother used to make the most amazing apple crisp, and it was always a nice little treat every time she would make it. However, the recipe my mother used to make was not a vegan nor gluten-free since it would use butter and flour. So, with a few little changes, I’ve adapted it to be vegan and gluten-friendly if you do not have sensitivities to oats.
Just pop it in the fridge with a little plastic wrap, and you can keep it as long as a week and a half. Eat it as comfort food curled up on the couch watching your favorite movie or enjoy it with company. I personally love it with a chai tea to warm myself up after a long hike; it really is that great.
It is an easy recipe to make, but it does require a little bit of elbow kitchen grease to peel and slice the apples. Once that’s done, all you have to do is mix all the apple filling ingredients in a bowl, then empty in your baking dish, then do the same with your crust ingredients. Bake for 40 minutes in a convection oven or 50 minutes in a regular oven. Let it cool for 15 minutes and serve with some vanilla ice cream and you have magic in a bowl!
APPLE FILLING INGREDIENTS
8 medium-sized apples (I used pink lady)
1 lemon, juiced
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 Tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch (for thickening)
1/4 cup water
Pinch of nutmeg
1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 cup almond meal (or ground almonds)
1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Peel apples then slice into ½ to ¼ inch slices while removing the cores and put into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the remaining apple filling ingredients. Toss to combine. Empty the contents into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
3. Rinse and wipe out your mixing bowl and mix in your crust ingredients. Pour evenly onto your apples.
4. Bake for 50 minutes in a regular oven or 40 minutes in a convection oven. The apples should be fork tender.
5. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream.